Second Chakra magic
At our Veer Health and Wellness Center we use the chakra’s to help students find new observations and insights about themselves. This week in our class we have been discussing the second or sacral chakra Svadhisthana. This chakra sits low in the pelvis at the level of the bladder and is associated with water, sexuality, pleasure, flexibility and the color orange. The discussion of this chakra in particular brings up very strong reactions both from the students as well as our other yoga instructors. Discussing our creativity or flexibility is easy, but talking about our sexuality or lack thereof is something that many students struggle with. Our upbringing influences our perceptions of being a “good girl” or being ” a floosy” as my grandmother would say. She came from a generation that believed “Good girls don’t talk about that”. I think that belief has been passed on to the current generation and too many of us feel fear and guilt the instant someone brings up pleasure, sex, or our divine masculine or feminine energies. I have a mature adult class and I love watching my students faces when I tell them their assignment for the day is to have sex. There is usually a lot of uncomfortable laughter followed by the question, “Does it have to be today?” I have found after many years of seeing this same reaction that our sexual selves get lost or completely forgotten over time. I am sure most of us can remember a time in our lives when in the throws of passion we couldn’t get our clothes off fast enough, and now we don’t want to take our socks off because we don’t want our feet to get cold. We are all human beings that have passion, creativity, sexual energy and we are deserving of pleasure, so if you are feeling that your second chakra or Svadhisthana is a little dull or lifeless, be open to trying some new alternatives to charge it back up.
1. Don’t take yourself so seriously. Being fun and playful allows creative energy to flow in and your guard to come down.
2. Wear bright orange, light an orange candle, meditate with orange stones or oils, and eat orange foods. They all contribute to the orange chakra energy.
3. “Fake it till you make it.” Sometimes you have to put forth a little effort to get great returns when it comes to sex. Say yes even if you are tired or not in the mood and let yourself be the receiver of pleasure. Usually we all feel much better afterward and asking ourselves, “Why don’t we do this more often?”.
4. Drink more water. It sounds cliché but the orange chakra is all about fluid so if you are dehydrated it does affect this energy center.
5. Take a couples yoga class. Movement and closeness in a yoga class come together perfectly to bring a sense of intimacy together. Always a great excuse for a date night.
6. If your libido is chronically low always consider consulting your health care practitioner or a sex therapist. We work with both and asking for help is always a great option.
So as I tell my students, your homework today is to have sex!